There are few natural remedies that are effective in protecting your liver from any disease or harmful matters. Liver is one of the busiest organs of our body. From producing bile for indigestion to eliminating toxins from the body, it performs more than 500 functions daily inside our body. It is our present lifestyle, junk foods, consumption of high dose of alcohols, smoking and self-medication that leads to an unhealthy or damaged liver.
Add these six foods (herbal remedies for liver disease) to your diet:
1. Amla or Gooseberry: Indian gooseberry or amla is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and is most effective in keeping the liver healthy. It has been used extensively in Ayurveda for the treatment of sluggish liver. Now even western countries found through research that amla extracts have liver-protective function. Though best way to consume amla is raw, you can also add small pieces in salad or prepare dishes and add it to your diet in various forms
2. Mulhati or Licorice: Mulhati is used in Ayurvedic since long to cure liver ailments like non- alcoholic fatty liver disease, in which blood level of transaminase enzymes called ALT and AST increase to harmful levels for the liver. It is found in research that Mulhati reduces the concentration of these enzymes, proving its benefits on liver. You can add powdered mulahti to tea or add to warm water, strain it and drink on a regular basis.
3. GAmrit or uduchi: Amrit is another Ayurvedic herb considers to have healing properties and is could be seen commonly in kitchen gardens. It is believed to have cleaning the liver from toxic matters apart from strengthening it from inside. It does not have any side-effects even if used for long time. However, according to Ayurvedic doctors, this herb can aggravate liver crisis if the patient has a large amount of toxic matters in the liver. Hence, it is better to use under Ayurvedic doctor’s prescription.
4. Haldi or Turmeric: Haldi is commonly found in Indian kitchens and believed to be packed with valuable antioxidants. It also has properties to improve liver health. Studies show the antiviral properties of turmeric are effective in preventing complication causing hepatitis B and C. We Indian use turmeric in our diet almost every day. Besides, you can also add it in milk and drink.
5. Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds has properties to reduce the work load on the liver. Add it to your daily diet to see its positive effects.
6. Vegetables: Vegetables like – beet, cabbage, carrot, broccoli, onion and garlic are some vegetables that contain ingredients that help the liver secrete important enzymes. Broccoli, onion and garlic are believed to provide sulphur to the body. This helps detoxification preventing damage to the liver.
While these liver disease herbal remedies can help your liver stay healthy, it is also important that you avoid eating foods and beverages that damage or is harmful for your liver.