Dental problems are easy to identify, but we do not often give much attention to these problems in the early stages, which include gum diseases, sensitive teeth and tooth decay. By ignoring these diseases, the severity of these diseases only increases with time, leading to a number of dental problems.
Here are some of the things you need to know to avoid various dental problems:
- Brush your teeth twice a day: This is a very common advice that we have been hearing since childhood, but we hardly follow the same. According to medical practitioners at AMRI Hospital, one of the best dental hospitals in Kolkata, more than 50 percent people brush their teeth only once a day, which results in cavities. It is important to brush teeth twice a day to remove plaque and sticky substances that accumulate on the teeth. This helps in preventing gum diseases.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: It is important to maintain dental health, which can be easily done through regular check-ups. Diseases pertaining to mouth, lips and throat can be avoided by visiting a dentist for an oral check-up after every 6 months. Regular check-ups can also prevent root canal and gum diseases, oral cancer, and other dental conditions.
- Proper nutrition: One should always look to avoid excessive non-nutritional foods, which are often the reasons behind cavity and gum diseases. Soft drinks are also responsible for attacking the tooth enamel, which is not good for overall oral health. On the other hand, nutritional food can always limit the damage and help in maintaining good dental health for years.
- Change your toothbrush: Dentists recommend that a person should change one’s tooth brush every 3 months. However, if you have some cavity issues or gum disease, you must change only it after 4-6 weeks. Also, remember to brush each and every part of your teeth and take at least a minute more than usual.
- Treatment is vital: You need to understand that dental problems won’t go away without treatment. If you are suffering from any dental problem and hoping for it to go away without doing much, then you need to know that the condition will never improve without treatment. According to dentists at AMRI Hospitals, one of the best dental hospitals in Kolkata, it will get worse and you may need surgery to save other teeth from getting infected.
- Bad breath means problem: Many people tend to ignore bad breath because they believe it is natural. According to a survey, however, more than 85 per cent of people with bad breath have a dental problem. A mouthwash will never cure the problem, it will at best mask the odor. So, one should consult a dentist and eliminate bad breath after a thorough oral check-up.
- A dentist won’t hurt you: It is a myth that things like root canal are very painful. A number of people never visit a dentist out of fear, as they believe that the procedures of a dentist are painful. They feel that they will have to bear the pain for many days if they visit a dentist. However, this is not true as dentists use anesthesia before performing a major surgery, which does not cause pain. Also, a number of other procedures have become simple nowadays. So, if you have any problem, don’t think too much.
- Tooth loss is avoidable: It may seem irrelevant, but tooth loss is actually avoidable till the age of 60 or even more. It is linked to gum diseases. If the gums are healthy, you will hardly develop such problems, which ultimately result in tooth loss. Brushing teeth twice a day, regular dental checkups and cleanings are the best methods of prevention against gum diseases. If you can avoid these diseases, half the battle against tooth loss is already won.
All in all, most dental problems are avoidable, suggest medical practitioners at AMRI Hospital in Kolkata. It all comes down to following procedures and maintaining dental health to fight with the diseases in the longer run.